tes

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Self Introduction

Introducing greeting and parting to English learners as the first step of teaching English is necessary since they are the first things we say when we meet someone else.
Therefore, it is good to know what expressions are used in greeting and parting. Look at the notes below:

Greeting:
SALAM PERJUMPAAN

*Example:
Good Morning
Good Afternoon
Good Evening
Goo day
Hello/ Hi
How are you?
What’s up?
How are you doing?
How's life?
How's everything with you?
Nice to meet you
Nice to see you

*"How do you do" is a formal greeting used in the first meeting. The answer is also how do you do. It can be combined with nice to meet you since "nice to meet you is also only used in the first meeting. Either answer "how do you do or nice to meet you" is allowed as well.
*"How are you" is a formal greeting among people we are familiar with. For the casual one, we can use some other greeting expressions such as: what's up? how are you doing? How's everything with you? How's life?. The answer can be varied. Do not only say: I'm fine, thank you, but you can also use other variation as follows: Great, good, well, pretty good, not bad, pretty well etc. Don't forget to say "thanks" then greet back the person who has greeted us.

PARTING:
Salam Perpisahan.

Good bye/ bye (selamat tinggal)
See you....(next time, later, tomorrow, Sunday, tonight etc).
Take care (jaga diri)
Keep in touch (nanti kuhubungi)
*Enjoy + Ving/ Noun (Enjoy writing, enjoy the food, enjoy the trip etc)
*Have a nice dream, have nice sleep, have nice writing etc.
*Good night

Notes:
*Enjoy + Ving/ Noun and Have...are part of hopes we can add before we leave. By using these ones the conversation can be expanded and look to be more casual, using only one of the partings would be fine thou.
*Good night and good evening are different. One is parting, another one is greeting (see the example above)but people usually make them overlap where they often use good night as a parting too. After knowing the difference, hope we can use them properly.
*Good night is also used when someone wants to go to bed too (sleep).

One more thing about greeting and parting. There is a big difference between Indonesian and English culture. In Indonesia greeting especially about the days (good morning, good afternoon, good day, good evening) are commonly used as partings too but this case cannot happen in English.

See try me to have exercise about greeting and parting.

Now, let's move to the next level...

GETTING TO KNOW EACH OTHER
When we meet someone new it is possible to know her/ him deeper by asking some personal questions: name, address, hobby,job etc. But there are some that is considered rude to be asked such as: age,status (married/ single), and salary unless he/ she is close to us or we've known each other quite well.
Here some ways to get to know someones personal information:

1. What’s your name?
My name is…
I am...

2. Where do you live?
I live on Hatta street 44 Ponorogo
I live at 44 Hatta street Ponorogo
I live in Ponorogo

3. What’s your hobby?
My hobby is singing
I like to sing/ I like singing

4. What’s your father’s name?
He is “Brandon Lee”/ My father’s name is Brandon Lee

5. What is your father?
He is a doctor

6. What is your favorite food?
My favorite food is fried rice.
I like fried rice

7. How old are you?
I am twelve years old.

8. When were you born?
I am twelve years old.

9. When were you born?
I was born on July the third 1998

9. Where do you study?/ Where do you go to school?
I study at SMP N 1 Jetis Ponorogo

10. Who is your English teacher?
My English teacher is Ms. Titin Setyorini.
Her name is Titin Setyorini.
She is Titin Setyorini.

Knowing someone identity can be gotten either by asking someone his/ her information or we directly tell information about us. It can be done by summarizing the answers of questions above.
Don't forget to greet first before starting introducing yourself.

"Hi! Let me tell you about myself"
"Hello, everyone! I'd like to introduce myself"
"Good morning, guys! Let me introduce myself"
then continue with your information:
"My name is Aulia Lee. I live on Hatta street 44 Ponorogo. I like singing. My father is Brandon Lee. He is a doctor. My favorite food is fried rice. I am twelve years old. I was born on July the third 1998...etc"

Notes: you can adjust the information yourself.
At the end you can say "that's all about me. Thank you."



No comments:

Post a Comment