tes

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

INTRODUCING SOMEONE

EXPRESSIONS USED TO INTRODUCE SOMEONE

In our daily lives it is really possible to always get someone new whether we get him or her ourselves or get him or her introduced by the other.Below is some common expressions when we want to introduce someone to other person.

Have you met....before? (Sudah kenal....belum?)
Hey, I’d like you to meet… (Saya ingin memperkenalkan kamu pada....)
Please meet my friend… (Kenalkan, teman saya....)
Andy, this is Martha. (Andy, ini Martha)
Martha, this Andy. (Martha, ini Andy)

Speaking Practice 1
Carol and Amy are window shopping in a mall. Carol sees her friend, Tania there. They then have a chat. Carol introduce Tania to Amy.
Carol : Tania! I’m glad to see you here. It’s been a while.
Tania : Yeah…I miss you. How’s life?
Carol : I’m studying at SMP 1 JETIS now. What about you?
Tania : I’m studying out of town. It’s sad that we can’t be together anymore.
Carol : But, we can still keep in touch, right?
Tania : You’re right.
Carol : By the way, please meet my friend, Amy. Amy this is Tania. Tania, this is Amy.
Tania : Hello, Amy! Nice to meet you.
Amy : Nice to meet you.
Tania : Hey, you know it is nice to see you here but I’m with my sister here. I’m sure she’s waiting for me now.
Carol : No worries. We’ll go on seeing the clothes then.
Tania : Ok, see you.
Carol : Take care

Speaking Practice 2
Nancy hears a cat meowing. She wonders whose cat is that. She asks her sister Diana to take her to where the cat is. Diana takes Nancy to Denny, the owner of the cat and get introduced her sister to Denny.
Diana : Hey, what are you doing, Denny.
Denny: Hi, Girls! I’m feeding my cat. What takes you here?
Diana : My sister wants to see you your cat. Oh yeah, Denny. This is Diana, my sister.
Denny : Hi, Nancy. Nice to meet you.
Nancy : Me too. I’m sorry for disturbing you but I really like cats.
Denny: Really? Do you have some at home?
Nancy : Unfortunately not. My father does not allow me to keep one.
Diana : You know, our father is a doctor. He is afraid cats will bring some diseases at home.
Denny : Oh…I get it. Yeah…that’s right if we don’t take care of it well. But, don’t worry, Nancy. Just come here if you want to. You can play with my cat.
Nancy : Are you kidding? That would be great.
Diana : Okay, time to go. We have some home work remember, Nancy?
Nancy : Oh yeah! I’ll see you again some time.
Denny : You are welcome.
Nancy and Diana: Bye…

From the speaking practice above you can determine the greeting and parting. You also see that small talk will take place after the greeting.Small talk is an unimportant talk in order to make the meeting warmer and make us closer to the speaker we are talking to, then the we can go to the main idea of what we want to talk about.

There is something to remember about parting. Before we say goodbye it's better to give the reason why we leave. If you are about to go to school you may say: "I'm sorry, it's nice to talk to you but I have to go, my class starts at 7." Tell something related to what you are about to do as the reason of leaving, then you can say "goodbye/ see you/ take care etc."

1 comment:

  1. Good job...! That's what an English teacher is supposed to do. It has been my pleasure reading your blog. Keep up the good work...!

    ReplyDelete